Perfect for a snack or as an accompaniment to a lunch or even as a dessert, these cookies are bursting with flavour and you will want to eat them all at once (although personally I wouldn't recommend that!). This recipe is an adaptation to one I found online which was vegan although the mixture was very dry so I had to add in an egg.
- 2 1/2 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 3/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- A few drops of water (If needed to bind)
- grease proof paper/ cooking spray
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and mix in the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl, pour in the rest of the ingredients and mix together.
- If the mixture is too dry then add some water in drop by drop until it forms a dough.
- Divide the mixture into dough balls and spread out on a baking tray lined with grease proof paper.
- Flatten the balls out and bake for 15 minutes until golden.
- Place on a cooling rack before storing (They can be frozen in an air tight container).
- Enjoy! Cassidy xx