You may have noticed that throughout my recipes I use many of the same ingredients, this is to ensure I do not waste anything and most importantly to not waste money by throwing food away. The key to a cheap weekly shop is first of all planning what you are going to make, but making sure that if you buy a pack of something that it is all going to be used up before it goes off. By buying the veg that is in season you can also save good money. When writing out a shopping list it helps to do a meal plan so you know exactly what all your food is needed for and allows you to only pick up what you need, preventing throwing lots of food away at the end of the week. If there is any veg that is past its best, do not throw it away, but simply make a soup out of it or a smoothie/dessert with the rest of the over ripe fruit.
This next recipe is for mushroom stroganoff with jacket potatoes, it is using the last of the mushrooms and yogurt (which I seem to be using a lot at the moment) and making sure that nothing is wasted.
5 closed cup mushrooms, finely chopped
1/2 red onion
1 large potato, or 2 medium (per person)
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp white wine (optional)
1 clove garlic, crushed
Pinch black pepper
- Pierce the potato with a fork and microwave for 10 minutes, if it still feels hard after this time then turn over and microwave for another 5
- Fry off the onion and garlic for 5 mins, then add the mushrooms
- Make a cross mark on the top of the potatoes, place on a baking tray and grill until crispy
- When the mushrooms have reduced, take off the heat and cool for 5 mins.
- Add the yogurt to the mushroom mix.
- When the potatoes are crisp, serve up and pour the mushrooms on top
- Sprinkle with black pepper and enjoy! Cassidy xx