First of all I want to say good luck to everyone getting their A/AS level results tomorrow, I'm getting my AS and I'm nervous enough about that!
Dinner last night was a mushroom, cauliflower and broccoli bake and I have to say, fresh cauliflower and broccoli taste so much better! For dessert we had yogurt with fresh berries and honey. If you haven't had a chance to go vegetable picking then try and make time, soon! There is nothing better than fresh :) This recipe is not vegan although you could get a cheese and yogurt alternative to make it so.
Main course Ingredients:
6 closed cup mushrooms
1 tbsp butter/spread
250ml soya/milk (roughly)
1 handful extra mature cheddar, grated
1/2 handful grated Italian hard cheese (Sainsbury's is vegetarian)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp paprika (smoked)
2 potatoes, medium
2 tbsp plain flour (wholemeal)
salt and pepper, to taste
- Pierce the potatoes and microwave for 8 minutes
- Boil the broccoli and cauliflower for 3 minutes.
- To make the cheese sauce; first melt the butter and then stir in the flour, it will form a small dough ball.
- Gradually add in the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Take off the heat and sprinkle in the grated cheddar, nutmeg and 1 tsp of paprika.
- Chop up the mushrooms and add to a large baking dish (or two smaller ones) with the broccoli and cauliflower florets.
- Pour the cheese sauce over and mix in with the veg.
- Fluff the potato with a fork and sprinkle over the veg (will go crispy).
- Sprinkle with the hard cheese, then with the paprika, salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden and crisp.