So Christmas has been and now we're on the way to 2016, both Xmas day and boxing day were a success food-wise and pictures of both can be seen on my instagram. On Christmas day we had the vegan Christmas pie, crispy roast potatoes, maple roasted carrots & parsnips, sprouts & pine nuts, swede & sweet potato mash and cauliflower and broccoli cheese - which doesn't have a recipe yet but in the new year I will be working on an ultimate (vegan) cheese sauce recipe to share on here. Of course we all left the table after dinner feeling stuffed from all the delicious food and the best part was that we had enough left for a roast on Sunday!
On boxing day we made a buffet table for family and friends, there was; cheese and onion rolls, mushroom pate, potato salad, pasta pesto, chick'n nuggets, crackers, crisps, nuts, pickles, hummus & crudites. The vegan food went down so well, especially the mushroom pate made with creamy Violife and the cheese and onion rolls made with a mix of Violife creamy and regular cheese, it was so great to be able to show people what good vegan food tastes like and that cruelty free doesn't mean you have to miss out on your favourites.
This next recipe is for pizza pin wheels, using Violife pizza slices - the cheese has an almost smoky paprika kind of taste, similar to the smoked dairy cheese sausages you would get in the brown plastic packaging (which was one of my favourites!). This cheese is so delicious, both eaten on it's own and when hot and oozing out of this crisp pizza pin wheels. The pin wheels couldn't be simpler to make, with only 4 ingredients and minimal effort, this snack is one that you'll want to make!
This will probably be my last post for the year, and I just can't believe how much further my blog has come this year, so thanks to all my readers, subscribers and followers! I'd also like to thank the wonderful people at Violife for sending me all those wonderful cheeses to cook with, I've had so much fun sharing these recipes with you all and it couldn't have been a better Xmas present to both receive the cheeses and also to able to see so many omnivores tuck in and thoroughly enjoy the vegan food!
Violife Pizza Pinwheels | Yield: 15 | Time: 30 mins
- Rolling Pin
- Large baking tray
- Grease-proof paper
- Pizza cutter
- Table spoon
- 250g Jus Rol puff pastry
- 3 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning (mixed herbs)
- 6-7 slices Violife pizza
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Lightly dust the surface and rolling pin with flour and roll out the puff pastry to a 12x9" rectangle, so the rectangle is in landscape format. Spread the tomato paste over the whole surface of the rectangle, then arrange the cheese on top of the pastry so it's not overlapping, and leave a small gap with no cheese at the far, long side of the pastry. Start with the long side closest to you and roll the pastry up, press together gently once rolled and cut 2cm pieces with a pizza cutter. Place on the baking tray and bake for 15-17 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
- These are best served warm but are also delicious cold. Enjoy!
|Pin this image|