On Monday I went out to eat with a few friends to try out the new vegan menu at Zizzi's, I had a pizza with balsamic onions, olives, mushrooms and vegan cheese, the cheese once melted was more of a creamy sauce, but the whole meal was really delicious nonetheless. One of my friends had a (non-vegan) salad that looked really luxurious and flavourful and it got me thinking about what recipe I could make next.
This new salad recipe is both luxurious and extremely tasty, it's tangy, peppery, salty, sweet; just bursting with flavour that will bring your taste buds to life! The recipe consists of marinated, tangy roasted white beans, peppery rocket, crisp red onion and creamy avocado, drizzled with the most delicious miso-balsamic dressing, for a wonderful lunch or evening side salad.
White beans are packed full of nutrients; they're high in fibre and protein and 100g contains about 20% of your daily iron requirements, whilst also containing potassium, magnesium and folate. The rocket contains vitamins A, C and K, with the avocado providing good fats, along with vitamins E, C and K, but to name a few. Vitamins A, E and K are all fat soluble vitamins, meaning that the fats provided by the avocado are not only beneficial to heart health, but facilitate the absorption of the vitamins in these vegetables.
Miso Balsamic Roasted White Bean Salad | Serves: 2 | Time: 15 mins
- Baking tray
- Grease-proof paper
- Small bowl
- Chopping board
- Measuring cups + spoons
- 1 can (1 1/3 cups) white beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp white/yellow miso paste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch salt
- 1.5 tsp white/yellow miso paste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch garlic powder
- Pinch salt & pepper (to taste)
- 2.5 cups rocket (~50g)
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Mix together 2 tsp of balsamic vinegar, 1/4 tsp miso, 1 tsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and a pinch of salt together in a bowl and mix together, add the drained beans and mix to evenly coat the beans. Spread the beans out on the baking tray and place in the oven for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the red onion and separate out the pieces, then slice the avocado. Arrange the rocket, onion and avocado on a serving plate and squeeze over a small amount of lemon juice.
- To make the dressing, mix together 1.5 tsp miso paste, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of garlic powder and salt & pepper to taste, then whisk together. Remove the beans from the oven, mix up again and then place on the salad, pour over the dressing as required, serve and enjoy!
|Pin this image!|