I completed my first assignment of third year yesterday and the relief of this is simply huge. But really, I've only just begun the journey and good time management will become essential over the next 9 months until I graduate. Before I really dive into it I'm going home this weekend, which will allow me to regroup and relax a little, which I think I definitely need. It's times like this, when I'm really busy and short on time, that I need meals I can quickly throw together that are super delicious too. This could also be served up as an appetiser or main when cooking for friends or family, the addition of the wild mushrooms add not only flavour and texture but a level of sophistication, too.
I tossed the mushrooms into a mix of olive oil, thyme, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and black olives, then spread out on the puff pastry sheet with mushroom flavour violife and baked until golden and crisp, to then top with some balsamic coated rocket leaves. This whole dish is deeply savoury, with a refreshing tang from the balsamic rocket.
The mushroom violife really captures the earthy mushroom flavour, I had the slices, though it does come in a block and have found that you can actually grate the slices straight out the packet, though you could chop it up into small pieces too. It doesn't melt quite as well as the original or pizza style, but I like that, as it lets the mushrooms show through in the tart. The mushroom cheese is also really delicious on it's own; I often found myself snaking on a slice and it's a rather unusual flavour in terms of cheese, but I've definitely grown fond of it and it would be delicious in a wide range of dishes.
Click here for printer friendly version
Wild Mushroom Tart | Serves: 6 | Time: 35 minutes
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
- Large baking tray
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 200g mixed variety mushrooms
- 10 pitted black olives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 100g mushroom violife
- 100g rocket
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms, slice the olives, crush the garlic and combine with the herbs, oil and a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Grate the cheese and put to one side.
- Unroll the pastry onto the baking tray, leaving the provided baking paper in place, and prick the surface, leaving a 2-3cm border around the edge. Spread out the filling and top with cheese, bake for 20-25 minutes until golden, crisp and flaky.
- Toss the rocket in balsamic vinegar and sprinkle on top of the tart. Slice into 6 pieces, serve up and enjoy!