Some of you may remember that a few months ago I announced that violife were coming out with an organic range of cheeses, starting with their slices and pizza cheese. Well, they sent me some cheese to cook with and try out, including their new organic varieties. I've finally got around to trying their organic pizza cheese in a recipe and this is my final recipe using the cheese I was sent in a recipe. I think it's such a great thing to have the choice of an organic vegan cheese, as that is definitely something lacking from the market! As usual the cheese is soy, gluten and nut free, made predominently from coconut oil and like the slices, has the addition of sunflower kernels. I also found the cheese slightly more intense and tangy than it's non-organic counterpart, plus it melts efforlessly, to create a gooey, creamy coating, that's not at all greasy! I would definitely recommend this product and it was delicious in this next recipe!
Here I roasted and shredded a spagetti sqaush, then filled with a sauteed mix of onion, broccoli, garlic and herbs, topped with Violife organic pizza cheese. This is a delicious light lunch or dinner, filled with goodness and flavour, the strands of spagetti squash are delicate and al dente, they take on the flavour of what you add to them and are a great way of adding more veg into a day. The squash itself is high in vitamin C and B6, as well as potassium and magnesium. The broccoli contains protein, vitamin C, vitamin K, manganese, folate, vitamin A and many other nutrients. And as I've mentioned before, vitamin A and K are both fat soluble, meaning the cheese aids with the absorption of these nutrients. The squash can take a little time to bake, but the recipe really couldn't be easier and it's a great alternative to the more traditional stuffed pepper!
Click here for printer friendly version
Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash | Serves: 2 | Time: 60-70 mins
- Baking tray
- Chopping board
- Measuring spoons
- Frying pan
- Mixing bowl
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 4 florets of broccoli
- 1/4 white onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp freshly chopped chives
- Handful fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g violife organic pizza cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 200° C.
- Remove the ends of the squash and chop down the centre, scrape out the seeds and place on a baking tray, bake for around 40 minutes until the squash is tender.
- To prepare the filling, dice the onion and fry with a splash of oil for about 5 minutes, then finely chop the broccoli, crush the garlic and add this to the pan, fry until the broccoli is tender, 5-10 minutes. Finely chop the parsley and add this to the pan with the oregano, chives, season with salt and pepper, stir through then remove from the heat. Grate the cheese and place to one side.
- Shred the spaghetti squash by placing dragging a fork across the short side, in line with the strands, until each half is fully shredded. Transfer the strands into a mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and combine, then add the filling and mix together. Spoon the filling back into each half, top with the cheese and place back in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Serve up with sides of your choice and enjoy!
|Pin this image|