What started out as a week with lots of spare time turned into a jammed packed one, filled with lots of studying, working and spending time with my friends, after 13 hours of sleep last night I finally feel like I've caught up with myself and I'm able to breathe again. So today's recipe is one that I'm making ahead of time, ready for lunch during another hectic week so I'm not rushing around trying to make food in the breaks between lectures.
This recipe is a BBQ pulled jackfruit rice bowl, served with Asian peanut slaw, rice and broccoli, it's so delicious and really nutritious too! The coleslaw sauce is packed with an infusion of peanuts, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil & 5 spice for a beautiful balance of flavours that makes the slaw so delightful to eat and perfectly complimentary to the BBQ pulled jackfruit. I never tried actual pulled pork so I can't tell you how similar this jackfruit version might be, but what I will say is don't be put off by it's pulled texture or appearance, it's so delicious, slightly chewy and not at all tough.
The jackfruit itself, whilst acting as a meat substitute doesn't contain any protein, but this is more than compensated for by the brown rice, peanut butter and broccoli in the dish, providing around 9-10g of protein per serving, which is not only needed for cell growth and repair, but due to the way they are digested, will help to keep us fuller for longer. Both red and green cabbage contain essential vitamins and it is recommended for maximum nutritional benefit these are consumed raw, and along with fats, which facilitates the absorption of the vitamin A and K (fat soluble vitamins) these vegetables contain, making this coleslaw both super tasty and healthy too! The broccoli in this dish, whilst being delicious is packed with nutrients too, Helen from Well-Being Secrets has thoroughly researched all the benefits of broccoli, you can read her report on them here: 43 Health Benefits of Broccoli.
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Bowl w/ Asian Peanut Slaw | Serves: 4 | Time: 40 mins
- Chopping board
- Large mixing bowl
- Large frying pan
- sieve/fine colander
- 2 Saucepans
- 2 forks, for shredding
- Jar/ container with spill-proof lid
- 2 cans young green jackfruit
- 1.5 cups uncooked wholegrain rice
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 white cabbage
- 1/4 red cabbage
- 2 large carrots
- 3 spring onions
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 limes, juiced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp 5 spice
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, then add to a large frying pan with 1 tbsp sesame oil and fry on a low-medium heat, fry for 5 minutes, then shred with two forks by pulling the strands apart and add the bbq sauce, cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring every few minutes or so to make sure it doesn't stick to the pan.
- Add the rice to a pan of water, bring to the boil and cook for 25 minutes, then drain.
- To make the slaw, shred the cabbage, grate the carrot, finely chop the spring onions and add to the mixing bowl. Then in a glass jar add the water, peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, sesame oil & 5 spice and shake well until combined fully. Pour the dressing over the veg and mix until it is evenly distributed.
- Chop the broccoli into florets and place in a pan of boiling water for 3-5 minutes then drain.
- Serve up the rice, broccoli, slaw and pulled jackfruit between 4 bowls and enjoy!
|Pin this image!|