There's something so wonderful about roasted veg, the flavour roasting brings out is just indescribable. Seasoning veg to best compliment their flavours is also magical; I coated this cauliflower in a mix of balsamic vinegar, oregano, salt, black pepper and some strong vegan cheese for the most incredible roasted cauliflower you will ever taste.
I never thought that balsamic vinegar and cheese would work but these two flavours compliment each other so beautifully, both bringing that strong, tangy taste which contributes such amazing depth of flavour, complimenting the slightly nutty taste of the roasted cauliflower. Vegetables can get such a bad rep, but that's when they're boiled/steamed and painfully under-seasoned; when cooked right vegetables are no longer that thing you were told you had to eat up to become big and strong as a kid, but something you actually look forward to eating.
Cauliflower is also an excellent source of nutrients; it is high in vitamin C, providing 73% of your DRV (dietary reference value) per 1 cup serving. It is important to eat foods containing vitamin C everyday as the antioxidant properties provided are great for maintaining health and due to it being a water soluble vitamin, it cannot be stored in the body. Like most other cruciferous vegetables, cauliflower also provides anti-inflammatory benefits, from the presence of vitamin K, which can help to reduce the chance of illnesses like cardiovascular disease.
- Large baking tray
- Grease-proof paper
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
- Fine grater
- 1 large cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 30-40g strong vegan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a large baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Wash the cauliflower and cut it into small florets, then place in a large mixing bowl and add the oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, oregano and salt.
- Mix together thoroughly and spread out on a large baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and add back to the bowl, add another 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and grate over 30-40g of strong vegan cheese (e.g. a parmesan style one). Toss together and place back on the baking tray for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Serve up with a pinch of black pepper and enjoy!
|Pin this image!|