St Patrick's day is a huge celebration both in Ireland and for Irish people around the world and I have Irish family who most definitely celebrate, so this next recipe is for an extra special breakfast or brunch on St Paddy's day this year!
These waffles are a modern twist on the traditional Irish potato cake; mashed potato mixed with leeks and seasoning, cooked in a waffle iron 'til crispy and delicious, served up with a zesty avocado, lemon and parsley dip.
The waffles are really simple to make, the bit that takes time is waiting for them to cook! The potatoes also need to be quite dry, so microwaving or steaming them would be best for this as they will absorb a lot of water when boiled.
Click here for printer friendly version
Potato and Leek Waffles with Avocado Dip |
Yield: 6 | Time: 30 mins
- Waffle iron
- Food processor/blender
- Mixing bowl
- Chopping board
- Mixing Spoon
- Cup measures
- Oil spray
- Small bowl/ramekin (to serve)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed (2 cups mashed)
- 1 small leek (1 cup chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup flour
Zesty avocado dip:
- 1 medium-large avocado
- 1/3 cup parsley
- zest + juice 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 15 capers/ 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch pepper
- Chop the ends of the leek of and discard, then chop in half lengthways. Chop the half into 3 and thinly slice, repeat with the other half and place in the mixing bowl along with the mashed potato, garlic powder, chopped parsley, salt and butter and combine. Then stir in the flour until evenly distributed.
- Pre-heat the waffle iron and spray with oil, then divide the potato mixture into 6 equal sized balls. Place one ball on each side of the waffle iron and press down slowly so the mixture spreads out, cook for 7-10 mins until firm and crisp. Repeat with the rest of the mixture. If you want to serve the waffles hot, you can keep them warm in an oven on a very low heat.
- To make the dip, place the avocado, parsley, lemon zest + juice, capers, pepper, water and garlic powder in the blender and blend until smooth, transfer to a ramekin or small bowl to serve.
- Serve up the waffles with the dip and enjoy!
|Pin this image!|