This next recipe is one for those who love spicy food; featuring Absolute Spice's Peri Peri blend. It's full of the delicious flavours of garlic, onion, basil, cayenne, salt and chili; roasted with a mix of exotic and baby portobello mushrooms, red onion and red pepper, on a bed of wholegrain rice and green lentils, finished off with a tangy lime-soy dressing.
The best thing about the Peri Peri spice mix is that it isn't just spicy; it has so much flavour delivered by the onion, garlic and basil, making a wonderful marinade for the earthy mushrooms and sweet peppers. It smells absolutely devine and tastes amazing whether cooked into the food or not; I would love to try it sprinkled over some oven baked chips or to spice up some hummus! Peri Peri spice is a Portuguese spice mix, that can be made from a range of different herbs and spices, usually including chili, garlic, onion and salt.
The coolness of the lime dressing cuts through and wonderfully compliments the spicy deliciousness of the Peri Peri veg, but if you want it cooler, use 2-3 tbsp of peri peri spice and if you like it on the hot side; 3-4 would be best! There is so much flavour to this dish and it's great food to share; it's super simple to prepare, but from the way it tastes you wouldn't believe it!
The mushrooms used here are a blend of exotic and baby portobello; the different shapes of the mushrooms mean the flavour really sticks and works its way into all the ridges; the texture of these mushrooms is also incredible, slightly chewy, contrasting with the crunch of the red pepper and onion. The wholegrain rice and lentils effortlessly absorb all the flavours and really bring the dish together; this whole recipe is just so delicious and I urge you to try it!
So for all you spice lovers out there, go and get some peri peri!
Click here for printer friendly version
Peri Peri Mushroom Bowl | Serves: 3-4 | Time: 45 mins
- Chopping Board
- Large mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- Grease-proof paper
- Small bowl
- Measuring cups + spoons
- 1 cup uncooked wholegrain rice
- 1 can cooked green lentils, rinsed
- 1 red onion
- 1 large red pepper
- 150g exotic mushrooms
- 200g baby portobello mushrooms
- 2-4 tbsp Absolute Spice's peri peri spice
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1.5 limes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Bring the rice to a boil in slightly salted water and cook for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the onion and red pepper and place in the large mixing bowl, add in the mushrooms, a splash of oil and 2-4 tbsp of peri peri spice mix, depending on your spice preference. Mix together, spread out on the baking tray and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- To make the lime dressing, squeeze the juice of 1.5 limes into a small bowl, add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp maple syrup and mix together.
- Drain the rice, rinse through with water and stir in the lentils. Serve up into 3-4 bowls with the roasted veg on top and the lime dressing on the side and enjoy!