I'm now on the homestretch to completing my second year at uni, with my final assignment in yesterday and my last exam in less than two weeks. The last assignment I did was definitely one of the greatest challenges I've ever completed regarding academics; there were so many components, not to mention it was group work too, so you can imagine my relief when I woke up this morning and it hit me that I have finally completed it!
One way to celebrate was by finally booking a holiday, to Budapest! I've heard such great reviews about Budapest from some friends who have been and by the online comments it looks like an amazing place for vegan food too! I've already been doing some reading and have discovered that the national spice of Hungary is paprika, so of course I had to come up with something that featured paprika! Whilst there are many different types of the spice in Hungary, I've used a regular sweet paprika, combined with a touch of smoked paprika for this dish.
The recipe is for garlicky-paprika smashed potatoes with a smoked paprika, creamy dipping sauce, they're crispy, delicious and just so more-ish! They work well as a snack or side dish, they'll serve 2-4 people depending on what you serve them up with, if you think you're going to need more then simply make up a double batch. They re-heat well in the oven too!
From what I've read online Budapest has some great vegan restaurants, but I'd love to try out some of the best, as recommended by my readers! I'd also love to try some authentic Hungarian options, so if you've visited Budapest, or happen to live there, please leave a comment with places we just have to try when visiting!
Smashed Paprika Potatoes | Serves: 2-4 | Time: 45 mins
- Large saucepan
- Large baking tray
- Grease-proof paper
- Blender/food processor
- 750g small potatoes (Marylyn, New, Jersey Royal etc)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 block silken tofu (~150g)
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pan of slightly salted water to the boil, pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, then drain. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and press down gently with the back of a fork, season with paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper, then lightly drizzle with oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- To make the dip, add the tofu, lemon juice and seasonings to the blender, along with a pinch of salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve up the potatoes with the dip on the side and enjoy!
|Pin this image!|