This dish is an adaptation of a lentil moussaka which would usually be topped with aubergines and cheese sauce. I am not over keen on aubergines and seeing as we still had loads of courgettes left from the farm I figured I would make this. I have to say that this was extremely tasty and from the lentils & cheese absolutely packed with protein! If you are vegan then you can still make this and simply leave off the cheese topping. If you are in a hurry then just use canned lentils but make sure you rinse them well first.
- 100g uncooked green lentils
- 1 tin tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large Courgettes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Cheese, grafted
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 veggie stock cube
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
1. Boil the lentils in water for 30 minutes and then drain.
2. Add the tomatoes to the hob and simmer gently, adding in the herbs, puree and crumbled stock cube.
3. Cut up the courgettes and grate the cheese.
4. Mix together the tomato sauce witht the lentils and spread out in a large baking dish.
5. Place the courgettes on top in rows and then sprinkle with cheese of your choice.
6. Grill for 10 minutes until golden and crispy.
7. Serve up and enjoy! Cassidy xx